Monday, August 23, 2010

Dear Sarah

Dear Sarah,
I’m putting my words in writing because when I try to speak them they come out a jumbled mess. You have me in knots trying to figure us out. You tell me to make sure I come back and see you, but you’re not even there half the time. Sometimes when you are there it’s like we’re the only 2 people around and no one else matters, but then just as quickly you focus your attention on someone else and start trying to make me jealous. I’m not here to play games. Well, not anymore I’m not. I came in the other day and spent all of my time with Katie and I swear you never even peeked over, not even once, even though you knew it was killing me inside. Maybe what we need is time apart, at least that’s what your boss said when he told me I should not come in for a while. What is a while anyway? I haven’t been there since Thursday and you weren’t even there so that shouldn’t even count. I do feel bad about Katie though as she looked pretty tore up when I was there. She made up some lame excuse about it being 5:00 and how she “had to go.” All I can say is I’m sorry. This relationship is complicated enough for the 2 of us. I had no business dragging an extra person into it. I never intended to mess with your friendship with Katie. You obviously can’t stand each other anymore because when I asked Katie when you worked next she said she didn’t know a Sarah. Ouch! Doesn’t look like she’s going to be getting over me anytime soon. She’s a sweet girl and all but I think it’s obvious that my heart belongs to only 1, and her name starts with s and ends with h. What? Who is Subhinderah? Why would I have a thing for the foreign guy who makes the fries on the weekends? It’s Sarah. It’s always been Sarah. And all couples face adversity. Sometimes disapproving friends, sometimes cultural differences, and sometimes Sarah puts in for a transfer to a store a little further away and doesn’t tell me. That’s cool, everyone needs space from time to time. I’m great at giving you space. I followed you to the movies the other night and sat 2 rows behind you and you never even saw me. How’s that for space? And how about the fact that I took your dog out of your yard, took him for a walk and painted his little doggy toe nails and returned him before you ever even knew he was missing? Space. I just wish we could stop playing the games. I expect the games from you, but I didn’t expect them from your mom. I was at your mom's bridge club last week and when I introduced myself to your mom as Sarah’s boyfriend she said “oh, you must be Mike”. It was at that moment that I knew how someone so lovable could turn so cold. Sure she pretended to care after I started crying, but I told her the damage had been done by that point. So here I am now and I feel like a decision has to be made and I don’t think I can trust you to make it because I never know what I’m going to get with you. So I’m going to give things one last try. “Hi Sarah, I think I’d like a Big Mac combo with a medium fry and drink”. And then it happened, that’s when I knew that you did still love me. You looked me straight in the eyes and said “would you like to upsize that for only .39 cents?” “Would I? You bet your ass I would” "Here you go, I put some extra ketchup packets on the tray for you.” “Extra ketchup? You had me at here you go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment